Afternoon, bird of passage.
I’ve just done watching Rectoverso (2013) for the first time. After sobbing real hard, I am in a pleasant mood to write a review about this movie. Enjoy yourself!
Days ago, I had a midnight chat with a friend about our plan to watch movies on Wednesday – we actually planned to do archery but something happened and we changed our plan. My friend gave me a list of now-playing movies: SITI, A Copy Of My Mind, Talak 3, and Surat dari Praha – all of these are local movies.
To be frank, I am not a moviegoer, I rarely watch the box offices, let alone the ones made by locals. But last night was different, I was somehow interested to watch local movies. I spent the night browsing about recommended local movies and the spoiler (I know I am freak but I like spoiler!). Here’s my watch-list:
- Satu Jam Saja;
- Tiga Hari untuk Selamanya;
- Badai Pasti Berlalu;
- Hari untuk Amanda;
- What They Don’t Talk About When They Talk About Love, etc.
Then, I planned to watch Rectoverso for starter.
Rectoverso is adapted from five of eleven (If I’m not mistaken. I haven’t read the book but after watching the movie I came to idea that I HAVE TO READ THE BOOK) different short stories written by Dewi Dee Lestari: Malaikat Juga Tahu, Firasat, Cicak di Dinding, Curhat Buat Sahabat, and Hanya Isyarat. All the stories are directed by five Indonesia’s famous actresses (Google it on your own!).
My favorite goes to Malaikat Juga Tahu (An Angel Would Know). In Malaikat Juga Tahu, Lukman Sardi acted as an autistic man who loved a girl who happened to be in love with his brother. Lukman played his character, Abang, very well. Dewi Irawan, Bunda, acted so damn good that everytime she cried I cried. I sobbed hard on the part when Bunda told Leia that Abang wholeheartedly loved her and when Leia found out Abang’s writing for her: Seratus Sempurna, Kamu Satu Lebih Lebih Sempurna. I. CRIED. HARD.
The next four stories are not as emotionally touching as the former, so, I’m just gonna make review in brief.
- Firasat (Intuition): That plot twist, tho! The ending’s beyond expectation. Didn’t see that coming.
- Cicak di Dinding (Gecko On The Wall): A story about having affair with someone who happened to be your best friend’s fiancée. Personally, I dislike Sekar’s hair style when she met Taja for the first time, that didn’t suit her well. (Lol sorry)
- Curhat Buat Sahabat (A Heartfelt Story For My Bestfriend): Unrequited love of best friends. Boy loved girl very much he’d do everything for her, Girl didn’t realize it. Cliché.
- Hanya Isyarat (Merely Signs): Frankly speaking, I don’t get the point of the whole story and I don’t get the sad part of Al’s story. This story tried to tell you about admiration without possession, perhaps. I bet all of us have one particular someone whom we can only see from afar – all we can do is seeing their back, without having a chance to know the color of their eyes.
Overall, I give 8.5 out of 10 for the whole package and 9.6 out of 10 for Malaikat Juga Tahu.
If you haven’t watched this movie, YOU SHOULD REALLY WATCH IT NOW! I kid you not.
Brace yourself, for you will cry,
Further info: Dee’s website.